Sunday, April 1, 2012

GI Paul mispoke. How dare he suggest he knows less than the generals

‘I Really Misspoke’: Ryan Apologizes For Comment On Military Generals’ Integrity | TPMDC



House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan admitted Sunday he “misspoke” when questioning the honesty of top military generals on defense spending needs, and said he has apologized to the Pentagon’s top adviser to the president.

“I really misspoke,” he said on CNN’s State of the Union. “And I did not mean to impugn the integrity of the military in any way.” Asked whether he has apologized to Gen. Martin Dempsey, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Ryan said, “Yeah, I called him and told him that.”

“It was not the impression I meant to give,” Ryan added on ABC’s This Week. “I talked to General Dempsey on it, and expressed that sentiment.”

Calling his words “clumsy,” Ryan doubled down on his broader point that the Pentagon is conforming to adjusted military spending levels in President Obama’s budget, when he argues they should have put out their budget first.

No comments:

Post a Comment